On 6 June 1944, the North Shore Regiment of the 5th Canadian Brigade landed in Normandy on Juno Beach.
They fought against a regiment of the 716th German Infantry Division. The Company A progression was
easy west of Saint-Aubin-sur-Mer while the Company B hit many obstacles. The support of the Fort Garry
Horse amphibious tanks was decisive, the special tanks neutralized anti-tank walls and blockhouses with
explosive shells. As soon as the German fortifications were vainquished Lieutenant-Colonel Buell launched
his companies inland; at the end of the day the Canadians cleared Saint-Aubin-sur-Mer of the last German
snipers. At Langrune-sur-Mer hard hand to hand fighting cost fifty per cent losses to the 48th Royal Marine
Commando, but in the evening of 6 June the Germans were pushed back from the town.
1944 Photo: Library and Canadian Archives - NOW Photo: Vincent van Rijn
Visited 963 times, 1 Visits today